These Low Carb Pizza Stuffed Zucchini Boats are a delicious and keto-friendly meal that is sure to satisfy your pizza craving! This easy recipe requires just 30 minutes to make and is sure to please both kids and adults (I mean, who doesn’t love pizza)!
If you are looking for a low-carb lunch idea that delivers on flavour, you have come to the right place! Not only does this recipe fit the bill, it’s also not a salad. There’s nothing wrong with salads, but sometimes a girl wants something more! When that something more is pizza flavoured, you know you are in for a treat!
What are Pizza Zucchini Boats? These keto zucchini boats are a wonderful way to enjoy pizza without the crust. Instead, a zucchini is sliced in half lengthwise, hollowed out and then stuffed with all the pizza toppings you would put on a regular pizza. The zucchini takes the place of a traditional crust, meaning you can enjoy the pizza flavour without the carbs! This is a great way to enjoy pizza for those following a low carb diet or wishing to enjoy a lighter meal.
These Pizza Zucchini Boats are a great meal! They are easy to make, loaded with flavour and require minimal ingredients. Only 5 simple ingredients (plus salt and pepper) are used in this recipe!
Did I mention this meal takes only 30 minutes to make? Just 10 minutes of hands on time is needed and then 20 for them to bake up in the oven. In just half an hour you have delicious zucchini boats!
These flavors also work well as an appetizer, so be sure to check out my Zucchini Pizza Bites for a great healthy appetizer idea.
Why you should make this Stuffed Zucchini Boats Recipe:
- This zucchini boat recipe is delicious!
- This recipe is easy to do.
- It requires only 5 ingredients (plus salt and pepper).
- This recipe is great for a lighter meal or for those following a low-carb diet or keto-diet.
- Just 30 minutes till your meal is ready!
- Only 10 minutes of hands on time is needed.
- This easy stuffed zucchini boats recipe is low carb.
- It’s a healthy and nutritious meal the whole family will love.
Ingredients in Low Carb Pizza Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Zucchini: large zucchini is preferable so that you can hollow it out easily and stuff it. Medium zucchini works as well.
- Olive oil: brushed over the zucchini while it roasts
- Seasoning: salt and pepper
- Pizza sauce/marinara sauce: If you are on a keto diet, opt for a low sugar/sugar-free tomato sauce.
- Mozzarella cheese: shredded mozzarella is used in this recipe. If you don’t have mozzarella cheese on hand, you can substitute a different melty cheese like havarti, gouda, or cheddar cheese.
- Mini pepperoni slices: If you can’t find mini pepperoni, you can use regular sized slices (leave them whole or slice them into quarters to make them small pieces). Other alternative options include using Italian sausage. For a pork-free option, you can replace the pepperoni with ground beef or ground turkey (cooked first).
Note: Ingredient quantities and full instructions are in the recipe card at the end of this post.
Other topping ideas:
I kept this low-carb recipe simple with a pepperoni and cheese topping, but you can absolutely add more toppings to your pizza boat! Other topping ideas to stuff zucchini with include low-carb vegetable and alternative meat options such as:
- sliced olives
- bell peppers
- fresh tomatoes, diced
- crumbled bacon
How to make Pizza Stuffed Zucchini Boats
1. Slice the whole zucchini lengthwise and use a spoon to carefully scoop out the center (the zucchini flesh) to make a well, being careful not to go too close to the zucchini skin (it will become too flimsy if too much is removed).
2. Place the zucchini shells in a baking dish or sheet pan and drizzle the cut sides of the zucchini boats with olive oil and season them with salt and pepper.
3. Roast the zucchini for 15-20 minutes or until it is tender.
4. Remove the zucchini from the oven and carefully blot the wells with a paper towel if there is a lot of moisture.
5. Spoon pizza sauce into each well (for large zucchinis, spoon about 2-3 tablespoons of sauce.)
6. Top with mozzarella cheese and mini pepperoni slices.
7. Bake in the oven for 5 or until the cheese melts. Then broil for about 3 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly. [Keep an eye on them while they broil to ensure they don’t burn.]
Can you meal prep these zucchini boats?
These pizza zucchini boats can be meal prepped in advance. To do this, you have 2 options:
- The preferred method: Roast the zucchini as described in the recipe card. Then let the zucchini cool completely. Assemble the pizza zucchini boats and place them in the fridge without baking them a second time. When you are ready to enjoy them, transfer the zucchini boats to a parchment lined baking tray and bake them in a preheated oven at 400F for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Reheating: Cook the zucchini boats entirely as described and then let them cool before storing in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat them when you are ready to enjoy them.
Storing leftovers and reheating
These zucchini boats are best when they are freshly baked but leftovers can definitely be stored and reheated. To store leftovers, once they are cooled, place them in an airtight container and store in the fridge. When you are ready to reheat, transfer the zucchini boat to a parchment lined baking sheet and heat in the oven at 350F until it is warmed through.
What to serve with Pizza Stuffed Zucchini Boats
These zucchini boats are great on their own as a complete meal, but can also be served with a nice side salad. Some of my favourites include:
- Radish Cucumber Salad
- Green Bean Salad with Lemon Herb Vinaigrette
- Cucumber Feta Salad
- Caprese Salad
- Traditional Greek Salad
I hope you enjoy this easy low carb recipe as much as I do!
In search of more zucchini recipes? Check out:
Low Carb Pizza Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 1 large zucchini (or 2 medium)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce
- 2/3 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/3 cup mini pepperoni slices
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise and use a spoon to carefully scoop out the center to make a well, being careful not to go too close to the zucchini skin (it will become too flimsy if too much is removed).
- Drizzle the cut sides of the zucchini boats with olive oil and season them with salt and pepper.
- Roast the zucchini for 15-20 minutes or until it is tender.
- Remove the zucchini from the oven and carefully blot the wells with a paper towel if there is a lot of moisture.
- Spoon pizza sauce into each well (for large zucchinis, spoon about 2-3 tablespoons of sauce.)
- Top with mozzarella cheese and mini pepperoni slices.
- Bake in the oven for 5 or until the cheese has melted. Then broil for about 3 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly. [Keep an eye on them while they broil to ensure they don't burn.]